Thursday, February 8, 2018

Diigo!

Today I explored the Diigo app, where was this all my note taking life?! This app is a social bookmarking tool that has so many features. The best thing about Diigo for me is that the information is saved across all devices. There wont be any more searching for that one article saved on a USB drive; all the information is online. I like how I can not only save to favorites, but I can highlight exactly what I need for notes on that website. There have been so many times I have saved pages upon pages of internet research just to be confused what exactly I needed on that one page! There is no more cutting and pasting ideas into Microsoft Word document, Diigo does that for me. I have already saved some websites I have found useful for this class and created a group to store the websites in. I will be using Diigo in my classroom as a favorites toolbar, I like how I can write a sticky note about what standard the website/game/app applies to. This will make it easier to navigate to known websites, differentiated per student.

The standards that correlate with this app are:

CCSS.ELA.LITERACY.CCRA.SL.2


Integrate and evaluate information presented in diverse media and formats, including visually, quantitatively, and orally.


ISTE.3.A
Students plan and employ effective research strategies to locate information and other resources for their intellectual or creative pursuits.

ISTE.3.C
Students curate information from digital resources using a variety of tools and methods to create collections of artifacts that demonstrate meaningful connections or conclusions.


Diigo is an excellent resource in the classroom, especially for research. Students can highlight information, annotate, create sticky notes, and create an outline on any piece of information. This is an excellent way to really help students understand credible resources by comparing information. In addition, there is the accountability piece involved that my students understood the article by providing an outline. I also like that students can create groups to collaborate resources found on the internet. Also, this could be an incredibly useful tool for homeschooling, when students are out sick for a long period of time. Students will be able to review online sources at home and take notes and I can comment on those notes.

Collaborative and Team Based Learning is found to be an effective instructional strategy because students work together to complete group projects, not only accountable for themselves, but for the members of their groups as well. Authors Christina M. Cestone, Ruth E. Levine, Derek R. Lane (2008) support this in the article Peer Assessment and Evaluation in Team-Based Learning. The authors note that when implementing Team Based Learning (TBL) effectively, students are held accountable and help others with peer review, improving communication skills.

Cestone, Levine, and Lane (2008) support TBL as an effective strategy when they state TBL is, "A unique pedagogical strategy that facilitates the development of a variety of skills relative to future professional pursuits, including individual accountability, problem solving, interpersonal communication, teamwork, and organizational skills (Cestone, Levine, and Lane, 2008, p. 70). This means that there are so many more skills added to the learning process with TBL. Diigo is just one resource to further connect  students together when implementing the instructional strategy of TBL.

References:


Cestone, C. M., Levine, R. E., & Lane, D. R. (2008). Peer assessment and evaluation in team-based learning. New Directions For Teaching & Learning, 2008(116), 69-78.

2 comments:

  1. I love it too! So many times I make bookmarks and then I realize I did it on another computer and I have to find the resource again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I lived without Diigo. I use it all the time now and I honestly like it better than a Favorites bar on google. It's really accessible too because there is a chrome extension that allows you to save websites without logging onto Diigo first. You can also annotate on webpages using the Chrome extension. If I really love a website I'm going to save it on Diigo first.

    This is super helpful for students who are doing a research paper. When I was student teaching I made students fill out a paper with the websites they wanted to keep and use for their paper. How silly it seems now! I will definitely be using Diigo in my future classroom.

    ReplyDelete