Monday, February 26, 2018

Popplet

This week I explored some new websites and applications to create graphic organizers. One application that I am very excited to use in the classroom is Popplet.



There are so many times where our classroom makes webs to brainstorm ideas as a large group. This closely relates to the standard:

CCSS.ELA.LITERACY.RI.K.1-With prompting and support, identify the main topic and retell key details of a text.

My students can work together to find the main idea of the text, and then find some supporting key details to go around the web.

With Popplet, we can take our webs one step further. One of the best things about this app is that you can include real pictures from the internet. I also like that I can draw in the web, or students can draw as well. This gives a story web a while new look; I find the multimodal element captivating.

Also, this app closely relates to the ISTE Standard for educators:

ISTE.5.B.

Design authentic learning activities that align with content area standards and use digital tools and resources to maximize active, deep learning.

This is an excellent instructional strategy for English Language Learners, as well as students who are in Pre-Kindergarten, or Kindergarten, who are just learning to read. Adding pictures to text can help students activate prior knowledge, specifically assisting ELL's in recalling information based on prior experiences.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this website and how it helps students to collaborate and share their ideas with each other. I hope to use it in my clasroom in the future

    ReplyDelete